one 16" or longer zipper
1/2 yard fabric
4" scrap of coordinating ribbon (optional)
1. Trace around my cardboard pattern to make the bag pattern. Cut a strip 16" x 2 1/2 " for the zipper placket pattern and another pattern 2 1/2" x 4" for the ends. Copy the information from the cardboard pattern to your pattern. The grain for the 2 1/2" pieces will go the long way.
2. Cut one bag piece on the fold. Cut 2 long strips and one small piece.
3. Fold the long strips in half lengthwise and press WRONG sides together.
4. Pin one folded edge to the zipper tape with the short end 1/4" from the head of the zipper.
Mark where the fabric strip ends on the zipper tape, as well as a mark 1/4" from the short end of the fabric.
5. Shorten the zipper (if needed) by setting the machine for a wide zigzag stitch that is very close together. CAREFULLY sew over the zipper at the mark 1/4" from the end.
Cut off the excess right below the bottom mark.